First impressions last! When it comes to presenting your property this rings very true.
That means it must be presented, or staged, properly and photographed well. As 90% of real estate searches are online, your property's appearance online is critical, as is both a tidy and presentable interior and exterior, as many people will drive-by before deciding whether to inspect it on open days. It is worth spending some extra money in these areas as you will be rewarded for it with more bidders and a higher sale price.
Your property needs to stand out from the crowd, because your property is usually just one in a very long list of properties a buyer will see. It is crucial that they see it in the best possible light. Simply put, the more desirable your property appears, the better your sale price will be.
Three presentation keys to show your property at its best:
- Clean: Give the property a good clean, inside and out.
- Tidy: Remove clutter that has accumulated and pick out curious that can be used to set off the space well.
- Well-Maintained: Property that appears well-cared for is obviously more valuable than one that has been run down. Get any small items fixed before the sale - it could make a huge difference.
People's tastes are widely varied. Assume a more neutral decoration style for your open homes - it is good idea to pack away excess furniture and curios, your lava lamp or nude portraits. You want them commenting on your house, not your personal taste.
When decorating your home for sale use:
- strategically placed paintings or mirrors to help fill blank walls, don't overcrowd.
- the odd vase or plant for a homey feel
- single beds to maximise the space in smaller bedrooms
- outdoor furniture and plants to demonstrate how a buyer they might use the area